Live sheep exports to the Middle East

We are conducting a Regulation Impact Statement (RIS) process for live sheep exports to, or through, the Middle East during the Northern Hemisphere summer. This RIS will analyse the economic and regulatory impacts of 3 proposed policy options.

We are currently seeking your feedback on a draft RIS.

The draft RIS was informed by:

  • your feedback on a discussion paper
  • information from previous reviews
  • analysis of climatological data provided by the Bureau of Meteorology
  • voyage and independent observer reports
  • environmental data and observations from voyages to the Middle East in 2019 including analysis of May 2019 voyages.

Our aim is to determine a reasonable regulatory approach that:

  • maintains a viable sheep export trade
  • supports desired animal welfare outcomes.

Make a submission

To have your say:

  • read the draft RIS
  • read the Bureau of Meteorology report
  • upload a written submission.

In your submission, we encourage you to consider:

  • For each option, what would be the financial benefits and/or impacts on you, your organisation and the community?
  • For each option, are there any non-financial benefits and/or impacts on you, your organisation and the community?
  • Which option do you prefer? What benefits and/or impacts does your preferred option provide over the other options?
  • Can you assess the impacts or benefits of option 2 compared to option 3 on you, your organisation and community?
  • Would Australia's live export industry be significantly disadvantaged by any of the options? If so, which option(s) and why?
  • Can you provide any information about the flow-on effects of implementing each option, which has not been considered in this draft RIS?
  • Are there any other factors you feel the department has not considered?

Make a submission by 5pm 3 February 2020.

Note: any requests for extension could delay the final policy decision.

What happens next

We consider all responses from stakeholders when making final policy recommendations to the Australian Government.

By February 2020, we plan to submit a final RIS and regulatory proposal to the government outlining our recommendations. We are aiming to complete the RIS process by March 2020.

We are conducting a Regulation Impact Statement (RIS) process for live sheep exports to, or through, the Middle East during the Northern Hemisphere summer. This RIS will analyse the economic and regulatory impacts of 3 proposed policy options.

We are currently seeking your feedback on a draft RIS.

The draft RIS was informed by:

  • your feedback on a discussion paper
  • information from previous reviews
  • analysis of climatological data provided by the Bureau of Meteorology
  • voyage and independent observer reports
  • environmental data and observations from voyages to the Middle East in 2019 including analysis of May 2019 voyages.

Our aim is to determine a reasonable regulatory approach that:

  • maintains a viable sheep export trade
  • supports desired animal welfare outcomes.

Make a submission

To have your say:

  • read the draft RIS
  • read the Bureau of Meteorology report
  • upload a written submission.

In your submission, we encourage you to consider:

  • For each option, what would be the financial benefits and/or impacts on you, your organisation and the community?
  • For each option, are there any non-financial benefits and/or impacts on you, your organisation and the community?
  • Which option do you prefer? What benefits and/or impacts does your preferred option provide over the other options?
  • Can you assess the impacts or benefits of option 2 compared to option 3 on you, your organisation and community?
  • Would Australia's live export industry be significantly disadvantaged by any of the options? If so, which option(s) and why?
  • Can you provide any information about the flow-on effects of implementing each option, which has not been considered in this draft RIS?
  • Are there any other factors you feel the department has not considered?

Make a submission by 5pm 3 February 2020.

Note: any requests for extension could delay the final policy decision.

What happens next

We consider all responses from stakeholders when making final policy recommendations to the Australian Government.

By February 2020, we plan to submit a final RIS and regulatory proposal to the government outlining our recommendations. We are aiming to complete the RIS process by March 2020.